Friday 5 January 2018

What Happened in December

The fall semester ended this past month and I had some time to get somethings done. I read some books and watched some shows/movies.

Books

Darker by E.L. James 2.5-3 Stars
I had no intention of reading this Darker but when I looked at the ratings for this book on Goodreads it was really high (over 4 stars) so I decided to give it a chance. 
I was not impressed by this book. I did like that there was more to Christian in this book but other than that I was not blown away, which I did not go into this book to be blown away.

There are a few things that drove me crazy while reading this book:
1. I didn't like that Christian kept calling Jose boy.
2. I was getting very tired and frustrated with Christians self-loathing. I get he does not have high self-esteem but I feel like every page he would mention some self-loathing comment. It was okay for a the first few chapters but after that it just made me want to chuck the book. 
3. Possession of Ana. I guess I just forgot how possessive he is in the series. It was a lot to handle in this book.

The Diviners by Libba Bray 4.5-5 Stars

I wasn't sure what I would think of this book going in but the synopsis of this blew me away. Its a murder mystery set in 1920s New York. There are multiple points of view and some of these characters have powers.

That is what I was told about this book and oh my gosh! I was just blown away. I finished this book in a matter of days. I borrowed the ebook and the audiobook from this library app that I have. I was glad that I could borrow both at the same time. It really helped me get through it so quickly especially when I drove to my moms house which is two hours away from where I live.

What I loved:
-The setting. Libba Bray writing painted the picture of New York so vividly that I thought I was there.
-The mystery. I was on the edge of my seat. I wanted to know what was going to happen so bad that I had the audiobook playing at a fast speed.
-The cast of characters. It has been a while since I've read a book with so many characters and I loved it.

What I did not like:
-The love triangle. There was not a love triangle per se but who Evie fell for at the end of the book ( I do not want to ruin it for you if you haven't read it.) I just did not like how that was handled. I'm not mad about who she ended up with, just her thought process when it came to her friend was what got me.

This book is definitely one of my favorites. I wasn't even half way through with this book when I ran out to Books A Million and bought the next two.  


Movies
The Spirit of Christmas
I was scrolling through Netflix for a Christmas movie and I found this one. I will let you know that this movie is very cheesy and sometimes cringe worthy. The dialogue is not the best and the acting at times is terrible but it was exactly what I wanted.

The Greatest Showman
I went to the movies to see this opening night and I think that everyone should see this. I love it!
I love:
-how the movie was shot
-the songs
-the plot
-the choreography

I want to go and watch this movie again. If you are at all interested in circus movies or musicals you should check this out. 

Watching this movie made me happy, angry, and sad. I cried twice.

From the very beginning it is just amazing. When the movie started I got goosebumps.

TV Shows
Beauty and the Beast
I started watching the TV show on Netflix this past month. I remember watching it when it first came out but I fell behind on episodes.
It is not as great as I remembered it to be. The dialogue is not the best and the plot is repetitive but I have enjoyed watching it again. I have 4-5 episodes left in the last season and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Let me know what books, TV shows, and movies that you read and watched this past month. 

Thank you for reading. 
I hope you have a great day!
~Mariah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...