Thursday 2 November 2017

What I read and watched in October

I actually read a decent amount of books this month. Since starting this semester I feel like I have hardly read anything but this month I feel like I made a dent in the books that I brought with me and bought recently.



1. Tell me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum: 4 stars
What I enjoyed:
1. The emails, texts, and IMs
2.  The growth of the family unit
3. The friendships

This book is marketed as like a contemporary with a mystery twist. The mystery isn't really a mystery. I guessed who SN was within the first few chapters. It was nice though being able to see the main character go through the journey to figure out who SN is.
There were times where the book became slow but I still kept on reading because I was dying to see how she figured it out.

The one thing that I kept thinking the entire book was how he got her email. I don't think it was ever mentioned in the book how he got her email. Which I know to some isn't a big deal but it kinda is to me. I guess I just stress over the small stuff.

(If it turns out that this was mentioned in the book please let me know. Maybe I forgot...)

If you are looking for a cute contemporary I would recommend this.

2. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaimen: 3 stars

This book is a collection of stories about Norse Mythology and I thought it was okay. I started this book a couple months ago. I mainly listened to it when I was driving or walking to class.

If you are really interested in Norse Mythology I would recommend it  but if you are on the fence maybe borrow it from the library.

3. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai



I am not going to rate this book because I don't like rating memoirs or biographies but I want to tell you that I love this book. I started and finished this book in a day. I borrowed the audiobook from the library app that I have and turned it on while I ate breakfast and ran errands. It is completely inspiring and tear jerking. I was in the frozen food section at Wal-Mart and I thought I was going to start crying.
I think that everyone should read this book.

(I am not going to give a summary for this book because I feel like the title gives an accurate summary of the book.)

4. Matilda by Roald Dahl: 4 stars
I had never read this book as a kid but I remember watching the movie all the time. I needed something to listen to so I borrowed this. I liked the book. I felt like it was a good book to movie adaptation. In a way I felt like I was watching the movie as I was listening. I could see the scenes while they were being told.

What the book is about:
Matilda's family doesn't pay attention to her. She stays at home during the day while her dad goes to work, her mom goes to bingo, and her brother goes to school. One day she found out about books and the library, which is where she spends most of her days. Matilda also finds out that she is telekinetic and things get kind of crazy from there.



5. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green: 4.5-5 stars

This book is great. I was super excited to read this when it was released. I read this in a matter of days. This book is emotional, intriguing, and addicting. I didn't want to stop reading this. I would recommend this to people but be warned if you have anxiety or compulsive tendencies you might not want to pick this up. The main character suffers from severe anxiety and she does some compulsive things to calm her anxiety.
It is very hard for me to decide if I want to rate this a 4.5 or a 5 stars. This book is going to stick with me for a long time just like TFIOS will. This book will probably be one of my favorites of the year. I just can't fully decide how I feel right now.

What this book is about:
Mr. Pickett, the owner of a huge company, has gone missing just days before the police were going to arrest him. Since Mr. Pickett has disappeared there is a money offer on the table to find out where he could be hiding. Daisy thinks that it is a good idea to get involved to try and find Mr. Pickett so she can get the reward. Daisy talks to her best friend Aza about it. Aza knew Mr. Pickett's son, Davis, when they were younger and Daisy thinks that Aza could help her find Mr. Pickett. Aza is apprehensive about helping Daisy. She doesn't want to get involved but she gets sucked in. Aza struggles daily with her thoughts of catching diseases that will kill her. She does things every day to help her ensure, in her mind, that she does not and will not get a disease and die.
While they investigate where Mr. Pickett might be hiding Aza reconnects with Davis. (The story takes off from there.)

Shows:

I started watching The Gifted this month and it looks like its going to be good. If you like superhero shows I would check this out.

I also started re-watching True Blood this month. I am on Season 5 right now. I forgot how funny this show can be. If you want a good vampire show I would recommend True Blood. Be advised it is not for children.

Let me know what you guys read or watched this month I would love to know.
Thanks for reading.
I hope you have a wonderful day!
~Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...