Wednesday 15 June 2016

My favorite book of the year so far!

I am sorry that I didn't post this yesterday. I intended on posting this yesterday but I lost track of time and forgot. :(


Hello everyone!
I am so excited because today I want to discuss with you my thoughts and feelings on one of the best books I have read this year. That book is called In A Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware.  If you guys are friends with me on Goodreads or follow my reviews you will know how crazy I am about this book. I was constantly updating my reading status.

I went into this book completely blind to the plot. All I knew about this book was that someone compared it to Gone Girl and that completely sold me on the book but I will tell you a little bit about it incase you do want to go into the book knowing a little bit about the plot.
Okay so this book is about a bachelorette party. The bride-to-be's best friend invites the brides old friends from college to spend a couple days with her in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. During this bachelorette party someone gets shot and murdered. So who is the one who pulled the gun? Is it Clare-the bride, Melanie-the lawyer, Nina-the doctor, Tom-the play writer, Nora-the author (and main character), or Flo-the brides best friend?




If that did not sell you on wanting to read the book I suggest you go find the book in the store and read the first chapter. The first chapter is just a page long and it just grips you. I will tell you that there is a page before the first chapter. Read the first chapter, decide if you want to read the book, if your answer is yes then go back and read that page. I think the first page was okay but once I read the first chapter I said 'Okay this is my next read!'
This book kept me on my toes! There were times where I was so happy that I was reading this in broad daylight because I would have been scared to death during some parts reading this book if I was reading it at night. One thing that I am very excited about is that this book is going to be turned into a movie! I have no idea when that is happening but I can't wait to find out and watch it.

Okay on to what I thought of the book!

The Writing Style

Normally I don't comment on the writing style of the book because I am never sure what to say. I guess when I normally do a review I look at the story overall and judge it but with this book I loved the writing style. You have 2-3 chapters that take dfplace during the bachelorette party and then you get one to two pages about when the main character is in the future, after the shooting. I love that the author did this. It definitely kept me reading. I enjoyed the chapters about the party but I just wanted to get to the present with the main character. I also liked that the majority of the chapters started out with the characters in conversations.

The Characters

I will be honest there where instances in the book where almost all the characters annoyed me. I will get into the reasons why in the spoiler section of this review because the reasons that they annoy me ruin the story if you have not read it. 

The Mystery

I loved the mystery. I didn't find it predictable at all. I did not guess who the murderer was until author revealed who it was. Very, very good mystery!

I gave this book a 5/5 stars on Goodreads.


Now I want to get into the spoiler section of this review so if you have not read the book yet I suggest you go read it and come back so we can discuss! :)






























So I want to start by explaining my thoughts on the characters.

Nora
Nora at times completely annoyed me. I was kind of sick of hearing about her and James and how she still had unresolved feeling for him. It got old quick. Even when I found out about the pregnancy I felt bad but she still annoyed me. 
Clare
I just didn't like Clare because she's very manipulative. 
Flo
I think Flo's annoying but I also felt bad for her. The one thing that mainly annoyed me about her was how she was trying to make everything perfect. 

There was only one thing that I guessed from the beginning and that was that James did not send the text message to Nora when she was sixteen. I am not sure why Nora did not figure it out sooner. She even said that James was the only one who called her Leo and in the text message it said Lee. OBVIOUS!! (At least to me it was.) I was so happy when Clare told Nora about the text. I was jumping up and down I was so happy. I was like "YES! I KNEW ALL ALONG!!" I know that part in the book is very sad. I was just happy that I guessed it because usually when I predict things in books it is completely wrong.

I did not predict Clare being the murderer. I thought it was Flo the whole time and I thought the reason Clare killed James was ridiculous. 

One thing that blew me away was Flo killing herself. I didn't see it coming and I wish that it didn't happen. I was hoping that Nora, Tom, and Nina would become friends with Flo. Maybe take her out to lunch or at least stay in touch with her after they got home. I could tell throughout the book all she wanted was a friend....Just makes me sad knowing that is the way her story went..

The last and final thing that I will be talking about in me review today was the ending. It infuriated me. I am not sure if Nora clicked delete on the email or if she clicked on it to respond. I hope it was to respond. It would have been nice knowing that she is talking to people besides an editor...


Let me know what you guys thought of the book in the comments. I would love to discuss it more with you!

Thanks for reading!
I hope you have a good day.
~Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...