Tuesday 19 July 2016

Should I or Shouldn't I???

Hello everyone!

Today I am questioning whether I should read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. This series has been on my TBR for a while now but after watching a video discussing the series I don't know if I really want to read it.



I just recently watched Trina's, from Between Chapters on YouTube, video on why she wouldn't be continuing on with the series and what she said kind of makes me want to not read it at all. I will link her video here. I suggest you go watch it. She does mention spoilers for the first two books. I have already watched the first two seasons so I know what happens. Just thought I would give you a heads up.

In Trina's video one thing she talks about is how the word rape is used in most instances instead of the word sex. Using one word instead of the other gives a totally different context to the scene. Obviously.

I have not read any of the books but I have watched the TV show. I am trying to think back to season one to see if I remember any rape scenes between Claire and Jamie. I don't think there was any. I might have to rewatch the first season to refresh my memory. I know that there were instances where he threatened to hit her.
There was one scene in the season 2 finale that I thought was disturbing/sort of rape-esque. The scene I am referring to is the one right before Claire touches the stones. (If you have watched the season finale I think you know what I am talking about.) I didn't think that that was needed. It was just very odd.

I just can't decide. Part of me does want to read it, just to see if I feel the same way Trina does or to see if I enjoy the books like a lot of the people who have read the series, and another part of me doesn't want to read it because of the things that Trina mentions in her video.

I am very split with this issue. I have really enjoyed watching Clare and Jamie's story plays out. There are many factors to consider.
The bad:
1. This series is a commitment. There are eight books in this series and all of the books are huge.
2. The use of the word rape instead of sex and the idea that their relationship isn't a healthy one.
The good:
3. If I read them then I would know where their stories go.
4. I really am enjoying the world in the story.

I need help deciding. Do you feel the same way Trina feels or do you feel differently about the series? Let me know what you thought of the series if you have read it.

Thank you for reading.
I hope you have a great day!
~Mariah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...