Wednesday 1 February 2017

January Wrap Up 2017

This month I completed four books.





The first book that I completed this month was one that I started in December. That book is Thanks for the Trouble by Tommy Wallace. I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads.
I picked this book up because (I think) I remember Trina from Between Chapters on YouTube talked highly of it.

I know that normally people like to discuss why they did not like a book. Today I want to tell you why I liked this book and gave this book 3 stars.
  1. This book was about getting out of your comfort zone.
  2. Zelda made Parker come out of his shell. She did not let him hide behind the fact that he didn't speak. She made him talk to other people.
  3. The ending! The ending made me question the entire book and I love when books do that!
This is one book that I will definitely be rereading. Next time I want to try and read it in the span of a day. I think if I would have read this book in a day or two I would have given it a higher rating. 

I went into this book knowing hardly anything about it. This is one book that I want to encourage people to go in blind.



The second book that I finished this month was Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle. This book for me was a let down. I found so many issues with each story that I could not love the book as much as I hoped I would. I wanted a sappy good old Christmas romance that was the perfect dose of cheesy and unrealistic. Sadly that did not happen. I got a girl who found out that she did not like her boyfriend, a boy who wanted to see cheerleaders, and a snobby girl who wants her boyfriend back. This book was just filled with drama.
If I had to pick one story that was my "favorite" I would pick the first one. The Jubilee Express has many issues, the awful boyfriend and the girl finding out that she didn't actually like him. This story to me was the one that had an actual thought out plot.
( I know that I said earlier that I wanted a sappy good old Christmas romance that was the perfect dose of cheesy and unrealistic. The last sentence that I just wrote might be contradictor of the previous statement but I feel like you can have a cheesy and unrealistic novel with out compromising the plot. When I say cheesy and unrealistic I am talking more about the romance than I am the plot. I want the book to have a plot that has depth.)
Even though I am being very critical of this book I ended up giving it a 3 stars on Goodreads, which I am thinking about changing to 2 stars. I did enjoy the fact that these stories were loosely connected. I didn't hate it but I certainly did not love this book.



The third book that I completed was The Fill-in Boyfriend by Kasie West. I bought this book from my local library thinking that this would fill one of the Pop Sugar reading challenges, it didn't. This is one that I did not have any feelings after reading.
While reading I did not like the main character and I waited for her to realize what she was doing.
But overall I didn't hate or love this book. I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads.



The fourth book that I "read" this month was one I actually listened to. I started and finished it in one day and that book is Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. I seriously enjoyed this book. This is a book that I want to buy, go back and read, and then put up quotes in my room to motivate myself.
This book made me want to do things but it also made me feel guilty and unaccomplished because when I was 12 I was stressing about math homework. When Anna Kendrick was 12 she was working. She was building herself a resume.

I gave this book a 4 stars. I  enjoyed it and wished I had a pen and paper ready to write notes. (I listened to this while driving, which is why I have no notes.)

Currently Reading:
I am in the middle of one book right now that I wished I could have finished before February and that book is The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oaks.
 So far I am enjoying this and I can't wait to finish it.

Well that is it for my reading wrap up for the month. Let me know in the comments what books you completed this month.

Thank you for reading.
I hope you have a great day!
~Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...