Tuesday 31 May 2016

The Heir by Kierra Cass Review

Hello everyone!

Before I get into todays post I wanted to let everyone know that I will not be making a Wrap up for May because I only read two books this month and I will be reviewing those two books. The two books I finished this month were The Heir and The Crown by Kiera Cass

Today I want to discuss with you my thoughts on The Heir. Before you start reading this review I just want to let you know that if you have not read The Heir or the first three books in The Selection Series I would go away and come back when you have finished the books. There are going to be spoilers.

The Heir




Just like the original Selection Series I really enjoyed this novel. (But...) My feelings toward this series are conflicting at the moment. This series makes me happy but also frustrates me. I am mainly frustrated with the characters in this series.

My feelings toward Eadlyn are the same feelings that I had toward America, which are annoyed/ angry. I found America annoying because she was indecisive throughout the three books and I find Eadlyn annoying because she is very self absorbed and rude. She constantly says that she is going to be queen and no one is more powerful than she is. Eadlyn is also constantly rude to people. She is especially rude to the boys in the Selection, specifically when she is eliminating the first eleven boys.


One thing that I thought was kind of strange was when Eadlyn was talking about how handsome Aspen was.

"General Leger had these sparkling green eyes that shimmered with mischief, one of those men who grew even more handsome as he aged. I knew it for a fact because Miss Lucy once showed me a picture of their wedding day, and he seriously only got better looking". (P.74)

It was just very awkward reading this because she had no idea that her mother was in love with him before she married Maxon. Even though it wasn't needed I wish that would have been brought up. I wanted Eadlyn to find out more about Americas selection then she did. 


As Eadlyn has decreases the amount of people who are in the Selection and I am curious to see who she picks to spend the rest of her life with. (At this point in time I have not read The Crown. I wanted to get all of my thoughts and feelings out about The Heir before I started The Crown.)

The last thing that I will probably be talking about in this review is the ending. I thought that the ending was rushed. I did not like that two major events happen within a matter of pages. 

The events that I am talking about are Ahren and Camilles wedding along with America having a heart attack. I predicted them getting married but I did not predict the heart attack happening and if I thought any character was going to have a heart attack, I would have guessed Maxon because throughout the entire book it is talked about how stressed and tired he looks.

Since the ending was so abrupt and Eadlyn was so frustrating I only gave this book a 3.5/5 stars on Goodreads. 

Hopefully the ending to the entire series will be better. I have an idea of who is going to be the last man standing and I hope that man is the one I picked. I will let you know if my prediction was correct in my review for The Crown, which I hope will be up on Thursday. 

Thank you for reading.
I hope you have a nice day.
~Mariah


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello

Hello everyone, I know that I have not posted in a while and I am sorry. I fell into a rut about what I wanted to write about on here. I...